Thursday 2 July 2009

Hot Hot Hot


Are we going to have one of the best summers ever? I can feel it in my bones. The papers have fascinating nuggets of information saying Today Oldham was hotter than Jamaica. For sweating bodies in Oldham it is hardly a great victory. I had 2 ozzies in the gallery today up for the weekend. I mentioned the weather and immediately berated myself for being a typical englishman.

Cycling into the gallery this morning there was a buzz in the air. The women are solar powered and everyone is looking beautiful. Everything felt right and the world sorted. On the train (with my bike) a spontaneous conversation broke out between the myself and the other guys sitting next to me. On a cold dark February morning with the windows steamed up, barely a word would have been said but the feel good day was too much to contain to ourselves. I could tell we all had to spout mindless stuff to reaffirm the fact that it really was a good day INDEED.

Views can change within the same day. Our love/hate relationship with heatwaves remind me of my Gran (bless her soul) where no day is ever the right bloody temperature. "Oooh isn't it hot, you just can't do anything" "Oooh is just too close isn't it" "It needs to rain, it does, but I don't like it when its raining."

The galleries are baking too. Have sympathy for Sophia in the triangle where the lovely light and bright space means she has to wear shades indoors and have a fan constantly blowing on her. Oldham st is cool though, a natural spot that makes winter electricity bills skyrocket also means without air conditioning its actually very pleasant now.
What has this got to do with art? Absolutely nothing. I just like talking about the weather. Damn it.

Painting above is called Sunflowers by Victoria Tsekidou and is currently on display at the triangle gallery.

No comments: