Saturday 8 August 2009

Artist focus - Malcolm Croft


I met him 20 minutes late. I had been waiting at the opposite entrance to the mill feeling like a bit of a lemon. The security guard was eyeing me suspiciously, trying to suss out whether I was up to no good.
Malcolm came round the corner and said he had been waiting at the other entrance. We both apologized, an innocent mistake. We climbed the 4 flights to the studio floor of Vernon mill in stockport. I have been to dozens of old textile mills in the northwest but Vernon mill is in better shape than most. They all have a smell that is unique to old industrial buildings. Its kind of a fusty old wood/oily smell that I really enjoy in the same way I kind of like the smell of petrol (in small doses).
On the 4th floor the artists have all made an effort to display their work on the corridor walls. It all looked okay but I was here to see the work from one man alone.
Malcolm unlocked the padlock and led me into his small windowless studio. He brewed a cup of tea and we made small talk.
He is relatively new to painting and briefly tells me his story of how he was knocked of his bike 13 years ago and that left him with chronic back pain. It made him housebound and he had to give up his job as a freelance press photographer. With no formal training he realised he had a natural talent.
We talk through the paintings that are vivid and bright. With no natural light the studio doesn't feel that much worse for it. His paintings are all set within a window frame like wooden surround. Who needs windows anyway, Malcolm's view on the world is what he makes it.
He is frank and open, for someone who has only exhibited professionally for a couple of years he is remarkably clued up on the art industry. Despite what I first thought, he isn't an accidental artist and he is well aware of the pitfalls of the art industry.
His work is bold, simple but carefully considered. He uses oils and thickly applies them in technicolour. It's all still life and is a reflection of his role as a house husband. The table with pot of tea and plates set references family life. The table is set, the daily ritual about to commence. The coffee pot and lemon links to a sunday morning relaxing with the paper. With hints of Van Gogh the simplicity of his work is something that is homely, family oriented and in many ways comforting. Many of the objects are retrospective. The cornishware and coffeepot are memories from Malcolm's childhood in the 70s. For Malcolm these objects from his childhood evoke feelings of strong family bonds, a comforting and homely environment.
Meeting Malcolm is a good experience and he is a very easy guy to get along with. There is no unease, no pauses in conversation and no bullshit. There is an underlying confidence that says, "This is what I do, like it or not". His work comes from within and is very personal so when I met him for the 1st time commissions seemed impossible. He has since found that he can still find his own meaning in a commission.
I left the mill having been there about an hour longer than I intended. My car was ready and I was late for opening the gallery but I felt it was time well spent. If nothing else I've got a new respect for cars when cycling on the road.

No comments: