Friday 19 February 2010

Media Guru - Mooch Mosley



We are going to be on't telly! The past few years I have visited artists studios where ever they may be. Sometimes spare bedrooms or sheds, basically just a space where mess isn't an issue. In the northwest quite a few artists have set up in ageing old textile mills which are falling to bits. Poor artists are the only people willing to bypass health and safety, creature comforts and all other sensibility to occupy these places. Outrageous renovation costs on these listed buildings along with lazy and/or cash strapped owners means nothing is done with these fantastic buildings. Speaking to the BBC the assistant producer was fascinated by these relics of our industrial past being used for the creation of art. Cue a fabulous story darling about tortured artists struggling in gloomy conditions for the cause.
ABOVE: Sean Caherty talking through his exciting range of plastic pots.
In summary I spent a day taking her round a few mills in December and we identified Woodend and Vernon mill to go to film for a short documentary on Inside out. Filming was done on one long day January 26th. They came to the Triangle gallery to film the work of the artists we were going to film later. I met up with Jacey, the presenter and the Producer and Cameraman as well as the assistant producer. We had a chat stood around while they got lots of close ups and then it came to my interview.

I was a little nervous to be honest and when that happens I tend to talk garbage. A lot of people will see this so the night before, like a right girl, I had to put on a few different outfits to check with my wife whether they were suitable for a gallery owner. They wanted to walk through the gallery to eventually come up to where Jacey and me were standing when she would start the interview.

Jacey seemed nonchalant but when her 1st question came and the camera was in my face her tone changed so much it temporarily threw me. I wanted to laugh out loud but held back because the cameraman would only have to trek back to to the run up again.

Her TV presenter mode was loud, emphatic and I felt the need to mimic this otherwise I would sound monotone in comparison. After a bit the camera came in to within inches it seemed from my face. Do they not have zoom on these things? This freaked me out a bit and it took all my will power not to look at the camera and ask the guy whether he was taking the mick.

Finished at Mooch Triangle, we went to Woodend mill in Mosley and the filming continued in Sean Caherty's studio, then Victoria Ashworths and Caroline McManus.

Depending on your life outlook you can view these mills on the understanding that to some people they are rustic and bracing, and to others, crap and cold. The film crew loved up the flaking paint, the worn, grime coated floorboards and steamy breaths from the artists.
The cold penetrated your bones. I had a chunky fleece in the car I lent to Jacey who was suffering. I was quick to explain the serious perfume smell to my wife later.

In Vernon Mill we spent some time in Malcolm Crofts studio then moved down to Alan Knights where they got some close ups of him painting. A lot of artists were milling about in the hope they would be filmed. A chance for a mention, recognition and even a artistic career break. I got a couple of curt responses from those who wouldn't be included in the film.
Sadly the day was short and the focus was mainly on mooch artists. The notion that the mills are creative havens where all artists are equal is an impossible and absurd idea. Taking license from George Orwell, all artists are equal, but some artists are more equal than others.
ABOVE: Caroline McManus discussing the fashion merits of this seasons white pinafore.


Filming finished fairly late at night and Vernon mill had gotten even colder. Since then I was also on Channel M for a piece about the latest exhibition with Michael Gutteridge and Dai David. See link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02NCtOQCLCA

It was fascinating to mee these people and it was great spending the day with them watching how filming is done. It amazed me how much footage they took and this will be chopped down to just 10 minutes. Less really because they filmed at Styal mill and some stuff will go in from that day trip.

Inside out screens March 8th at 7:30 on BBC1. Get your popcorn ready, tune in and get ready for some thought provoking and entertaining TV.





No comments: