Friday 9 April 2010

The New Blyths


It's all a bit hectic at the moment, hence the sparcity of blog posts. I bought a little art shop in Manchester a couple of months ago called Blyths and my feet haven't touched the floor since. I have put my finger in another pie and it feels a little hot for now at least. According to Phillipa I have reached Ian Beale like status which I took as a slight. How could anyone aspire to be a small time, middle aged cafe owner in a tawdry soap opera I ask.

From art gallery to art shop, from art buyer to artist buyer it has been like crossing over the divide within an industry that seemed so familiar beforehand. I thought I knew about the creation of art but boy was I wrong. Mooch is all about the end result and the emotional appeal of a piece of artwork. Blyths has meant I have to get all technical with the products. Customers pour over the colour and gram of paper and the concentration of pigment in the paint.

A couple of weeks ago we had someone who bought a large amount of art materials in one go. A couple of hours later a psychiatric hospital rang the shop apologising and asking to return the goods. I heard what had happened when they rang again, Tim came and delicately told me the "The woman is on the phone about the mental guy". Tim and Lyndsey recognised in hindsight that buying art stuff for his friend Van Gogh is not the norm.

Phillipa has the same issue with a particular guy who walks into the gallery every day, yes every day, and asks her if she is okay? A brief and daily one sentence conversation that left her feeling she was being stalked until realising he did this to lots of other shops too. A ginger man with 50s style quiff, leather jacket and tight jeans, he reminds me of a northern version of Disneys Chipmunks. He is equally as irritating although harmless enough.

All in all Blyths is a brilliant company to run with amazing potential. For mooch it means we can cast a wider net and find more talented artists. Mooch has the summer show on and the gallery is looking better than it even has. We are still changing and updating the website and looking at new artists so you will be able to see new work every 2 weeks even if there isn't a show on.

Oh and if you fancy taking up art or need some art materials, check out H.Blyth&Co in Stevenson Square. Its really rather good.










1 comment:

Lynda said...

Wow, Van Gough AND Chipmunks? Not too many people have good stories like that these days. I was highly amused (although I feel bad for your misfortune). Anyway, best of luck to you and your new business! Have a great day :)