Saturday 29 November 2008

Post preview thoughts - Advice for artists

So we've had the preview on thursday showing Adam Hayleys work amongst others. The level of quality is really high especially for Adam and Victoria Ashworth who are still young (24). Artists normally mature into creating great work. Most people who paint will be at a fairly average level for years and only get into the groove later on in their life.
Artists in general have a bit of a reputation for flakiness and unreliability. If a poll were conducted to find the flakiness percentage in the total population I wonder whether artists would have a higher percentage than other demographic groups.
I receive around 10 artists a week wanting me to showcase their work. One girl came in a couple of months ago and ran around the gallery looking at the work, looking at me slightly out of breath, "Yes, I am and artsit" "Errrrr" "How do you show work? Can you show my work, what do I do?"
I asked whether she had a website, "no", I asked does she have a portfolio she can show me? "eer no", Does she have a card she can give me. Of course she doesn't because she has the foresight of a goldfish and couldn't be relied on to tie her own shoelaces.
She asked me for a piece of paper and a pen, scribbled her number down and told ME to call HER. For any artist reading this, pay close attention to a few mistakes she made resulting in her not creating the best impression in the world. I sat there with raised eyebrows (if i could've raise one I would've) and Imagined her waiting by her phone, then after a couple of weeks saying "well i gave it my best shot".
For artists reading this who want to approach a gallery there are a few things to think of to create a good impression and one basic that sounds so simple but still quite a few don't do.
The one basic is that you have to show your work, whether its on an email, a portfolio or the actual pieces themselves. Not doing this straight away is like saying to someone "My best effort is still a bit rubbish and I can only be bothered to walk through the door and offer my artwork in a vague hope that someone might see the creative genius in me and proclaim me the next Damien Hirst. Don't take it out on me because I never not done nothing to no-one" Or something like that.
Reliability is key, consistently producing good quality artwork sorts out the people who have careers and those who sell the odd piece. It is highly likely the girl who gave me a scrap of paper with her mobile number on it isn't reliable.
Its a good job there are some great artists out there who do their stuff without drama and these are all showing with mooch.

No comments: