Thursday 25 June 2009

Suits you sir

It's a scene only in dreams/nightmares. You turn up to work without your trousers or worse still, completely naked. This is the feeling I had last night, only less intense and I didn't break into a cold sweat.
I went to a young professionals networking BBQ. It was held in the courtyard of a solicitors and being my 1st time I have been hadn't a clue what to expect. Made up of mostly of accountants and solicitors there was a sea of smart shirts and dark suits. Most had shed the small strip of material tied around their neck to signal they were out of intense work mode and just into casual work mode.
Naturally I stuck out like a sore thumb. (Why do sore thumbs stick out I wonder). Jeans and trainers are my uniform now and I left smart stuff behind blue chips and corporations 2 years ago. For me I only wear suits for weddings and funerals and am glad of it.
The gallery is a relaxed and easy going place and a suit would give out the kind of signals that say serious, formal and worst of all, unimaginative. For the accountants and solicitors it shows they are responsible, reliable and professional, which is great for their business, but not for mine.
Standing out if you're an accountant, bad. Standing out when you run an art gallery, good.
Viva la revolution.

No comments: